[Talk-us] US Highway Classification (Was: directions of ways in MassGIS data)

Alan Brown adbrown1967 at yahoo.com
Tue Feb 3 17:51:47 GMT 2009

There was a discussion on this list ("Road classification") a short while ago about the "Highway" tag that should be revisited. Someone posted a classification system back in December that made a lot of sense, and is more in sync with what I know commercial data providers.  Basically, it would be treating the "highway" tag as providing a functional road classification, rather than (primarily) a legal classification or a physical description.  In a nutshell, "Primary" = Road to take you between cities, "Secondary" = Road to take you across cities, "Tertiary" = Road to take you through neighborhoods.  It ends up roughly correlating with physical or legal designations - but not exactly.  It's marking the relative importance of a particular road.  (Motorways and Trunk Roads are exceptions to this, as they do have specific physical descriptions.) Because of this, I quite disagree with the statement that the tag should be used as a general description of the
 physical attributes of a road; there are physical description tags to serve that purpose.  There are many cases where a two lane highway is by far the most important road in a region (Transcanadian Highway, US 50 in Nevada), while in urban areas like San Jose, you have relatively unimportant roads with two or three lanes in each direction for short distances.  Yes, there is definitely subjective judgement here, but it's the sort of subjective cartographers make on a regular basis, and it is very useful.  You want a good balance between primary, secondary, and tertiary roads.

-Alan

Here is mapboy at att.net's old post:

In OSM language the Highway feature is used to designate what we call roads.

A motorway is a four+ lane, limited access, grade separated freeway. These can include Interstates, US Highways, State Highways, County Highways or even Farm to Market Roads if they meet certain criteria. These
criteria are limited access,the use entrance/exit ramps to access the
freeway. Intersections with other roads are at grade seperated
crossings or ramps. A grade separated crossing means one road goes over
or under the other. (ie. over/underpass) When Motorways meet other
motorways they generally use ramps that are classified as Motorway
Link. These motorways usually connect to other cities or move the
traffic around and through a city. Limited access ring roads usually
fall in this feature class also.

A trunk is what a motorway becomes when it loses one of it's
criteria. This usually occurs to US, State, County highways as they
move outside the urban areas. Intersections with other roads can occur
at grade and/or when ramps are no longer needed to access the road.
Usually they remain 4+ lanes and may or may not be divided by a
physical median.

A primary road can be a US, State, County Highway or other road that connects two cities or moves traffic from one part of the city to
the other. These are the highways that become Main St when they go
through a small rural town. They will have traffic signals when they reach more densely populated areas. These are the roads you
jump on when the freeway has an accident and you don't want to sit and
wait it out.

A secondary road moves traffic within a city. It would service only a certain area within a city.

A tertiary road connects the residential roads to the higher classes: motorway, trunk, primary or secondary.

I hope this clarifys things for some users. I know it's not going to please those who have already used other classification schemes.

thanks,
pete