[Talk-us] Fwd: [Talk-us-bayarea] Backcountry weekend

Alan Brown adbrown1967 at yahoo.com
Fri Feb 20 18:52:35 GMT 2009

Oh, I thought they had to discontinue this for lack of state funds ... I've gone on this event twice - not for the purpose of mapping, but it's a good way to see some wilderness surprisingly close to the Bay Area.  A fair bit of this area got burned by the massive 50,000 acre fire 1 1/2 years ago ... however, fire is a normal part of the life cycle here.  If the rains finally pick up  this winter, it might be great for wildflowers.  In 1998, when I went after El Nino, this area had the more amazing wildflowers I had ever seen.

>From the mapping perspective - it's more a fun project than a practical one.  Besides this weekend, only a few of the hardiest backpackers make it into this region each year.  They have a few very small but very interesting archaelogical sites and geological sites.  Some of the archaelogical sites (Indian ruins) they intentionally keep secret to protect.

I volunteered with this park for a couple years .. that was a decade ago.  They have a robust volunteer organization, and they might have a practical use for some information to be mapped out.

Thanks for the info - I'll look into it.

Alan