[Talk-us] Public Domain Non-GPS Data Question

Russ Nelson russ at cloudmade.com
Wed Feb 25 06:04:48 GMT 2009

A good summary,Chris, and I incorporate your disclaimer by reference.
It's all very complicated, made more so by supreme court decisions
which make it clear that facts about the world are not subject to
copyright.  You can't copyright the blue of the sky.  It simply is;
not something anyone created; and without creativity, copyright law
simply doesn't apply.  All that does is drive the decision point to
the creativity expressed in a dataset.  Clearly there is much in OSM,
in the choice of tags that someone puts on the data.  You would think
that the law of a country would be in the public domain, and ours is,
sort-of.  Westlaw numbers the pages of these public-domain laws, and
lawyers and judges make reference to these page numbers.  Somehow they
managed to convince the Supreme Court that they are being creative in
the order of the numbers, the size of the pages, the location of the
numbers on the page, etc, all of which ends up being copyrighted.  So
you can GET the laws themselves in the public domain, but in order for
them to be useful, you have to buy them from Westlaw.

All of that exposition is to let you know that creativity can be
judged on some pretty bare characteristics.  Parcel locations are a
fact of the world.  So are the parcel owners.  But who knows, maybe
the format of the shapefile is considered to be copyrighted?

Unless it's:
   1) the work of U.S. Government employees, or
   2) has no copyright and predates the US entry into the Berne
Convention, or
   3) explicitly licensed under a license compatible with OSM's
license, or
   4) has had its copyright expire (a complicated topic; when
registration was required, so was a renewal mid-way, plus the
copyright duration has been changed several times).
then you can't use it.  Even when you do, you should always import a
dataset under a dataset-specific username.  That way, if it turns out
that the importer was incorrect about 1, 2, 3, or 4, the data can be
removed.  The law recognizes the concept of an innocent infringer --
where you thought you had permission to use a work -- but you have to
immediately stop copying if you want a judge to believe that you're
innocent.

Russ Nelson - http://community.cloudmade.com/blog - http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/User:RussNelson
russ at cloudmade.com - http://openstreetmap.org/user/RussNelson