[Talk-us] The Greening of Georgia

Dale Puch dale.puch at gmail.com
Wed Feb 25 18:39:24 GMT 2009

It looks like the use of landuse forest is a quite a bit more than makes
sense or is of use.  Yea there are lots of trees where it is shown, but that
includes subdivisions with a lot of trees still.
The USGS data seems to be more the type of trees, not the "state" of the
trees as a forest.
As an example, look at the map and try to show where designated national
forests are.

Personally I think the import is ok if the tags were adjusted more.  Forest
should only be used if it is the primary landuse, or federal/state claimed
forest.

Dale

On Wed, Feb 25, 2009 at 2:42 PM, Theodore Book <tbook at libero.it> wrote:

> Dear Adam,
>
> Trunk roads are major roads which are not necessarily limited access.
> Generally, they are divided roads with higher speed limits and some
> direct access.  They would tend to fall between motorways and primary
> roads in importance.
>
> TB
>
> Adam Schreiber wrote:
> > Also, what's with the trunk roads?  Trunk is supposed to be
> > hierarchically above motorway, which is what interstates are tagged
> > with and trunk is being applied to limited access US Hwy's?
> >
> > Adam
> >
> > On Wed, Feb 25, 2009 at 8:59 AM, Theodore Book <tbook at libero.it> wrote:
> >> Yes, It is USGS Landuse / Land Cover data.  It is 1:100k or 1:250k
> >> resolution, and also slightly dated.  I find it to be pretty good
> >> through zoom 14 or so, (see for example:
> >>
> http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=34.4717&lon=-84.4287&zoom=14&layers=B000FTF
> )
> >> but there is some offset, especially around the Atlanta area, that will
> >> take some manual correction.

> http://openstreetmap.org/?lat=34.043&lon=-84.233&zoom=9&layers=B000FTF

> around
> my