[Talk-us] Public Domain Non-GPS Data Question

Christopher Schmidt crschmidt at metacarta.com
Thu Feb 26 19:49:30 GMT 2009

On Thu, Feb 26, 2009 at 02:08:48PM -0500, Russ Nelson wrote:

> On Feb 26, 2009, at 12:56 PM, Richard Weait wrote:
> >
> > This is talk-us and Russ is referring to the US Supreme Court.  The
> > pedant in me insists that we maintain our World focus and mention
> > "Sweat
> > of the Brow".
>
> Sorry, I'm confused.  Why should talk-us talking about imports of us
> data need a World focus?

Because the legal jurisdiction in which OSM is based is *not* the US,
and therefore focusing only on what the US says is too narrow of a legal
scope. Just because something is okay in the US does *not* mean it is
okay in the UK, and therefore OSM could potentially get sued --
especially if a copyright holder is multinational.

This is why I try to keep clear that there is a distinction between
"What US Case Law says" and "What is a good idea in OSM" -- the latter
is narrower, and is what we should be concentrating on for imports to
OSM.

Regards,
--
Christopher Schmidt