[Talk-us] Public Domain Non-GPS Data Question

Christopher Schmidt crschmidt at metacarta.com
Thu Feb 26 21:09:52 GMT 2009

On Thu, Feb 26, 2009 at 03:29:20PM -0500, Russ Nelson wrote:

> On Feb 26, 2009, at 2:49 PM, Christopher Schmidt wrote:
> >
> > Because the legal jurisdiction in which OSM is based is *not* the US,
>
> This is an important topic.  We should consult OpenStreetMap's
> lawyer.  With no knowledge of which legal system applies, we can't do
> anything sensible.

Huh? The doctrine to follow is simple: if there is any chance someone
could claim the data is not "more free" than CC-By, then don't upload
it. If you're not sure, don't upload it. If you think you're sure, but
not 100% sure, don't upload it.

The OSM policy has always been "If you're asking where the line is,
you're way too close to it." I see no reason not to keep behaving that
way. Consulting a lawyer won't get you anything different anyway;
with so little case law, the answers are always "Maybe".

Regards,
--
Christopher Schmidt
MetaCarta