[Talk-us] Public Domain Non-GPS Data Question

Russ Nelson russ at cloudmade.com
Thu Feb 26 22:29:21 GMT 2009

Please read the NASA Open Source License.  In it you will very clearly
find the position that FedGov-produced works are not copyrightable FOR
US CITIZENS.  That license is written as FedGov works ARE copyrighted
for everyone else.  So yeah, there's a line, and no, we can't avoid
the line, and yes, OSM should have a pro-bono lawyer who can give us
opinions about what is a reasonable risk and what is not a reasonable
risk.

Asking for zero risk is not reasonable.  If you want zero risk, don't
get out of bed.  Wait, you could still be killed in your sleep by a
falling airplane like the guy in Buffalo.

There is no way to stay away from the line.

--
Russ Nelson - http://community.cloudmade.com/blog - http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/User:RussNelson
russ at cloudmade.com - http://openstreetmap.org/user/RussNelson