[Talk-us] NHD (usa) NHN canada

Ian Dees ian.dees at gmail.com
Mon Jan 12 01:17:34 GMT 2009

On Sun, Jan 11, 2009 at 7:04 PM, Sam Vekemans
<acrosscanadatrails at gmail.com>wrote:

> Hi,
> I might be able to help (or confuse) :)
>
> By taking the converted gov'nt data shape files (as a ready OSM file)
> and slice it into 16 squares, then compare each square to the existing
> OSM data square, and only those squares that have no 'natural=water &
> similar tags' you would import the data. Then square it off again and
> import the 'no OSM Data areas'.
> So then your left with only a few small squares that need to be traced.
>
> Does this make sence?

The data is already broken up into subbasins, which are usually all the
water features that lead to some common river or lake.

This way, there will be minimal amount of data overlap and crossover.

Also, this is a fairly complete data set. I doubt we'll be able to find any
water features that aren't already traced by the NHD data.