[Talk-us] Tagging Cycle Infrastructure for Cycle Layer / OCM

Richard Weait richard at weait.com
Tue Jan 27 20:54:03 GMT 2009

On Tue, 2009-01-27 at 12:27 -0800, Brandon Aguirre wrote:
> Hey all,
>
> I'm tagging cycle infrastructure with the lcn_ref tag but need advice
> since it was developed for Europe where they designate routes
> numerically like a highway system. What do you suggest I put as the
> lcn_ref for various cycle inf. (I put yes as a placeholder but it
> looks so lame) I have the regional bike map and the gov. hasn't
> numbered or named them in any way. Should specify the type of
> infrastructure?
> i.e.
> lcn_ref= bike lane or
> lcn_ref= bike boulevard (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/
> Bicycle_Boulevards)
>
> Also, has anyone tagged a bike box? (http://www.portlandonline.com/TRANSPORTATION/index.cfm?c=46717
> )

Based on http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Cyclemap

I use ref* tags only for reference numbers or acronyms, so Highway 401
is ref=401,
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/3/30/401_Trailblazer_Kipling_Dixie.jpg/100px-401_Trailblazer_Kipling_Dixie.jpg

and the Don Valley Parkway is ref=DVP,
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/e/e6/DVP_Trailblazer_Viaduct.jpg/100px-DVP_Trailblazer_Viaduct.jpg

So a typical cycle(only) way would be
lcn=yes
lcn_ref=123; only if it has this type of short name.  It is typically
rendered on a shield.
name=Mid-town Cycle Bypass; only if it has a name. It is typically
rendered written along the way.

On a shared road
name= the road name.

Which is one reason why the wiki recommends that cycle routes now use
Relations.

type=route
route=cycle
network=lcn
ref=              (optional)
name=             (optional)
state=proposed    (optional)

This hypothetical relation could start as a shared lane, run through a
park on a dedicated cycle path, then scoot through a tunnel under the
freeway.