[Talk-us] Proposed automated motorway_link mass edit

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Fri Jul 17 14:46:19 BST 2009

Hi,

Alan Mintz wrote:
> In San Bernardino County, CA, all but two of these were cases where the
> motorway_link was a ramp that had not been connected to the motorway (which
> I fixed).

That's a valid concern (also voiced by Apollinaris Schoell) and I had
not thought about that.

I have now changed the script to identify "dangling" motorway_links, and
leave them untouched even if they are connected to a lesser road on the
other end. I don't actually check whether there is a motorway in the
vicinity, that would be too much magic. This will cause the script to
ignore things like:

(I'm loathe to try to automatically weld motorway_links to motorways, I
think this is at least beyond the scope of this particular fix and
something that is likely to cause trouble.)

This brings down the number of proposed changes from 28k to 26k. The new
list is at the same place:

http://www.remote.org/frederik/tmp/us-motorway-link-downgrade/

- note that it is still based on the same data as the last one so any
changes you have made in the mean time are not reflected in the list,
but the automatic change will make sure not to overwrite your edits.

Of the previous suggestions for San Bernadino, CA:

35105571 → service; 7079506 → residential; 7123988 → primary_link;
7137908 → secondary_link; 7139773 → primary_link; 7145681 → residential;
7149216 → primary_link; 7151635 → secondary_link

only these now remain:

7123988 → primary_link; 7139773 → primary_link

which I assume matches your result. I would also kindly ask Apollinaris
Schoell to check whether any problems remain.

(Apollinaris asked in another e-mail whether those dangling links, as
they have to be fixed manually, could be made available in a list with
JOSM remote control plugin links. As the inventor of the remote control
plugin I really can't say no to that so here's that list:
http://www.remote.org/frederik/tmp/us-dangling-motorway-links - but be
advised that this is a one-time effort and the list will not magically
update itself after you have gone wild fixing the bugs, so if you click
on one of the edit links and see that everything is fine then someone
else has fixed it already. Apologies for not being able to provide a
ticketing system where you can mark the stuff that's done but I guess
that'll have to wait for the grand unified OSM bug tracker.)

If I go ahead with the automatic change, and I happily leave that
decision to the mailing list, am I correct to assume that I should leave
the "tiger:reviewed=no" tag in, because I'm not actually reviewing anything?

Bye
Frederik