[Talk-us] Proposed automated motorway_link mass edit

Russ Nelson russ at cloudmade.com
Fri Jul 17 16:10:08 BST 2009

On Jul 17, 2009, at 2:24 AM, Frederik Ramm wrote:

>> I'd also like to look into some gluing back together of the TIGER
>> counties
>> and I wonder how suitable this would be.
>
> My gut feeling is that this calls for a semi-automated process in
> which
> a script suggests certain changes but humans still have to confirm
> them
> individually. This will be technically possible when third-party web
> applications can make API changes in the name of others by using OAuth
> (soon to be deployed on osm.org). Not something you'll write over a
> weekend that's for sure!

Some of it can definitely be automated.  If you have a way that stops
at a node, and there is another node at the same location attached to
a different way, the nodes should be merged.

Another fix I'd like to see is to look at all the Interstate Highways,
and if there is a road connected to it at any angle between 45 and
-45, disconnect it.  An even more aggressive fix would be to
disconnect everything that isn't a motorway_link.  That's probably
correct, but more aggressive than I would choose to implement.

--
Russ Nelson - http://community.cloudmade.com/blog - http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/User:RussNelson
russ at cloudmade.com - Twitter: Russ_OSM - http://openstreetmap.org/user/RussNelson