[Talk-us] Proposed automated motorway_link mass edit

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Sat Jul 18 02:47:16 BST 2009

Hi,

Greg Troxel wrote:
>> Heve had a look through some of the listing in Texas (2800 would take
>> a LONG time...).  Here's where a minor concern pops up.  So far I'm
>> through Midland County.  The majority of the rural counties changes
>> look to be correct fixes.  The majority of larger city changes are
>> downgrading the links, when in fact the highway itself needs to be
>> upgraded.
>
> If the highway is tagged trunk but ought to be a motorway, then
> auto-changing the links to trunk_link still seems like progress.
>
> Quick, fix the highway before the script runs :-)

If the automatic edit goes ahead, then it will downgrade all motorway
links as listed on the web page I provided, unless they have been
modified in the mean time.

This means that upgrading a trunk to motorway now would not save the
links from being downgraded!

Now if people are doing this en masse over the next few days then I
would have to decide on an automatism for detecting these cases, or
re-run the analysis.

But if these are isolated cases, then I would like to offer the
following suggestion: If you upgrade a road to motorway, could you also
remove the "tiger:reviewed=no" tag from the associated motorway_links?
That would then flag them as modified, and cause my script not to
downgrade them.

Bye
Frederik