[Talk-us] California GIS data is public domain?

David Carmean dlc at halibut.com
Sat Jul 25 17:10:22 BST 2009

On Sat, Jul 25, 2009 at 07:25:21AM -0700, Apollinaris Schoell wrote:

[snip]

> Which data do you have in mind? which data sources? is there anything
> better available compared to http://atlas.ca.gov/download.html

That looks to be a new version or another interface to CASIL, which
I've used often.  A lot of that data are excerpts from federal data.

> Let's try to align activities if possible. right now there is so much
> garbage from older imports that any activity should be well planned.
>
> I was considering to import some data but still try to figure out what
> data is useful and accurate. right now county borders and city borders

I don't really have any plans for mass imports; I was mostly trying to get
a reading from the community. In general I'm just interested in small
areas, nothing larger than, say, the greater San Francisco Bay Area.
Nothing causing more conflicts than what I could easily resolve by
hand using JOSM in a week or so.