[Talk-us] dividing highways (Oregon)

Dion Dock dion_dock at comcast.net
Wed Jun 3 23:58:37 BST 2009

I have a small-picture, big-picture issue.

Small picture: I've got a track of I84 in Oregon from Mosier to
Gresham, westbound.  The problem is OSM has most of I84 as one two-
directional way.  What's the best way to add this track?  Most of the
ramps will be messed up until all the data is cleaned up.  In this
particular case, things are somewhat worse since the Tiger import of
the freeway isn't particularly accurate, and the railroads that run
parallel are worse.  In other words, I can make the highway look
better at the expense of the railroad.

Big picture: What's the best way to create divided highways from
undivided highways?  Potlatch offers a way to do it, although I'm
stumped as to what the separation should be.  Sometimes its a "jersey
barrier" wall; sometimes a grassy median.  Does JOSM offer this feature?

Has anyone done this before?  Is there an efficient way to do it?  I'm
concerned that things will look worse before they look better (e.g. my
track is only westbound) and I don't want anyone freaking out about it.

thanks,
-Dion Dock