[Talk-us] Tidying up TIGER data

Ian Dees ian.dees at gmail.com
Thu Jun 4 12:37:35 BST 2009

On Thu, Jun 4, 2009 at 1:36 AM, Ted Percival <ted at midg3t.net> wrote:

> Paul Johnson wrote:
> > 4) Remove abbreviations TIGER imported.  Sometimes, I really wonder if
> > TIGER was such a hot dataset to import...
> >
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:name#Abbreviation_.28don.27t_do_it.29
>
> I wrote a script to expand TIGER abbreviations into full words. It's an
> addon for the change_tags.py script
> (
> http://svn.openstreetmap.org/applications/utils/change_tags/change_tags.py
> )
> which unfortunately doesn't work with API 0.6 yet - at least last time I
> tried. It does a few other things too, particularly for areas that use
> the grid system.

While most of the time this would work well, I can think of some cases where
making these assumptions with TIGER data is a bad idea

> Its functions are:
> - Strip "St" suffix from grid-named streets (eg. "South 500 West")
> - Collapse multiple spaces into a single space (lots of TIGER)
> - Expand abbreviated directions (eg. "S 500 E" to "South 500 East")
> - Expand abbreviated suffixes ("Rd" -> "Road", "St" -> "Street", etc)

- "Strip St.": is that recommended somewhere? It seems silly to remove data
like that...
- "Collapse spaces": Ok, that makes sense.
- "Expand abbreviated dirs": This is the one that I have the most problems
with. In my neighborhood in Minnaepolis, the official names for roads
actually end in SE. For example, I live on 6th Avenue SE. I've seen several
different representations of this, but when I ask several different mail
carriers and some GIS folks at the University there, they all said that "SE"
is the official name, not "southeast".