[Talk-us] Routing - Gate Nodes, and Gated Communities

Chris Lawrence lordsutch at gmail.com
Thu Jun 11 19:46:34 BST 2009

On Thu, Jun 11, 2009 at 2:17 PM,
mike.onines at juno.com<mike.onines at juno.com> wrote:
> Simple question:  Should I delete gate nodes at the entrance to gated
> communities, or can we agree on a set of tags that will let routing services
> know a gate is operable, and is reasonably likely to be passable?

I think the correct behavior for the routing engine is to allow
routing over "access=private" ways at the destination or start of a
route and (if necessary) through a gate separating a private way from
a public way, rather than trying to fix every private way in the map.
The routing engine should then warn the user that the only route
available involves private ways.

Routing engines could easily implement something pretty close to these
rules by applying a massive penalty to private ways (so they are only
used if essential in a route).  The gate could just be treated as a
separate routing penalty.

Chris