[Talk-us] Routing - Gate Nodes, access=private

mike.onines at juno.com mike.onines at juno.com
Mon Jun 15 20:02:35 BST 2009

OK, I looked into it a little bit more.  It turns out the routing engine Cloudmade is using will cross gate nodes with impunity, but will not encroach on an access=private way.  YOURS will not cross gate nodes, nor will it use an access=private way.  I like your proposed solution of having routing engines use private ways, but using a massive penalty for it to prevent use unless it is required.  For routing engines that will route across gate nodes they should probably include a note about the gate in any accompanying turn-by-turn directions.  I left a feedback comment to the cloudmade folks, we'll see if they do anything with it.
Thanks,
-Mike