[Talk-us] National Atlas

Eric Wolf ebwolf at gmail.com
Mon Jun 22 01:46:05 BST 2009

Most US Government-sourced data is essentially "public domain" (actually a
slight variant sometimes called "government domain"). All boundary data you
find on National Atlas and The National Map (as well as seamless.usgs.gov)
are completely free for just about any use except terrorism. ;)
All the Census TIGER data falls under the same license as does all Landsat
(a fairly recent return from a commercial license), NAIP, and more recent
flyovers like the 133 Most Populated Places 1-foot color imagery.

The only caveat is that National Atlas, The National Map, and Seamless put a
cap on daily download size. This cap isn't a big deal for vector data - like
your boundaries. But it's a real burden when trying to pull raster imagery,
like Landsat or DRGs (scanned topo sheets). With the 1-foot Most Populated
Places imagery, you'll hit your limit in about a quarter square mile of
coverage.

Maybe I can track down the right folks to write an official statement for
the OSM wiki.

-Eric

Eric B. Wolf                          720-209-6818
USGS Geographer
Center of Excellence in GIScience
PhD Student
CU-Boulder - Geography