[Talk-us] Mapping of State/county/national parks

Tyler tyler.ritchie at gmail.com
Thu Jun 25 19:59:53 BST 2009

Hello all,
I've a question about mapping the different types of park. I've been using
boundary=national_park for national parks and forests and then tagging
national parks as landuse=nature_reserve and forests as landuse=forest I've
also been tagging ownership=national

However with state, county and city parks of similar wilderness use or of
more generic recreational use I'm at a loss. leisure=park is not appropriate
given the wiki definition "open, green area for recreation, usually
municipal." This is fine for city green spaces, but doesn't work for
state/county recreation areas which may be either wilderness or managed
trails, motorcycle tracks, boat launches etc.

nature_reserve isn't appropriate as they're usually not preserving nature

I have been tagging state and county parks which are not open green spaces
as parks for the time being, but if anyone has any other suggestions I would
love to hear them.

-Tyler