[Talk-us] GNIS Import Done

Ian Dees ian.dees at gmail.com
Thu Mar 12 13:29:46 GMT 2009

Hi everyone,

I completed the GNIS node import yesterday. Please see the wiki page [1] for
more details.

As several of you have messaged me and posted on this list, there are some
problems with this data. Let me try to explain my thought process:

1. Since the resolution of the information is fairly low (i.e. a clinic,
hospital, doctor's office, retirement home, etc. are all tagged "hospital"
in their data set), I have absolutely zero problem with retagging data if
you come across a feature that is incorrectly tagged. Not like you need my
approval, but that higher resolution of info might convince the GNIS board
to add some more tags to their data set.

2. I'm planning on taking the planet dump and grepping out all of the GNIS
data. This will be used to generate diffs that we can send back to the GNIS
board, who has the option of putting it back into their data set.

3. If there are already OSM features in your area for a certain node that I
imported, feel free to delete my node, but please merge at least the
gnis:feature_id tag from the GNIS data so that we can keep track of future
name changes.

-Ian

[1] http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/USGS_GNIS