[Talk-us] National/State Park tagging

Greg Troxel gdt at ir.bbn.com
Tue May 12 12:54:53 BST 2009

Apollinaris Schoell <aschoell at gmail.com> writes:

> many parks are tagged with
> leisure park
> Is this really the recommended setting? according to the wiki park is
> something more like golden gate park in SF or central park in NY
> natural_reserve matches better the main purpose of national parks.
> some places in national parks are as crowded as a city park but that's
> another story....

I think leisure=nature_reserve is probably better, but I have not gotten
my head around the whole

  landuse
  natural
  leisure

combination.  It seems there are two orthogonal issues, and this blurs
them.  One is what is on the ground.  This is what the USGS put on topos
- green or white, depending on whether it was wooded or open.  The other
is purpose/access/etc.  I think these two things are almost completely
orthogonal.

Within purpose/use, I see some landuse type things

  business, commercial, residential

  farming
  forestry land, where the prime use really is harvesting trees

  open public land where people can go, without deeded conservation
  restrictions

  conservation land where people can go
  conservation land where people can go but there is occasional treecutting
  conservation land where people can't go ("refuge", more or less)

  hunting area ("wildlife management area" in mass)

Currently it seems natural=, landuse= and sort of leisure= attempt to be
jointly exhaustive and sort of mutually exclusive but not really.

Is it just me, or is this muddled?