[Talk-us] Tagging "next exit" services

Paul Johnson baloo at ursamundi.org
Thu Nov 12 19:57:21 GMT 2009

Dale Puch wrote:

> Personally I do not think the signs should be put in OSM, just the actual
> POI's are tagged.

Agreed.  Another factor is that the US MUTCD only defines a very small
number of specific services nationwide (food, lodging, camping,
telephone, gasoline, diesel), while other states like Oregon include
more (tourist attraction, car camping (aka RV-accessable camping),
24-hour fuel, cardlock-only fuel, return-to-where-you-came-from (at
state lines to send you back out of Oregon), etc).

> There may be reasons to put in signs, I just do not think this is one of
> them.

I'd only include them if they're also a destination sign, and then as a
destination sign, not a specific service sign.