[Talk-us] [OSM-talk] Addressing Question

Anthony osm at inbox.org
Thu Nov 12 20:15:55 GMT 2009

>>> If we're going to go into detail, no type of interpolation reflects
>>> reality, it's just interpolation.
>>
>> I disagree.  An approximation of reality reflects reality.
>
>  Physical street surveys will almost never get 100% reality due to missing
> house numbers, etc.   Are you proposing to discourage physical street
> surveys that are not 100% complete just because the data is all not there?

No, just the opposite.

On Thu, Nov 12, 2009 at 3:06 PM, Apollinaris Schoell <aschoell at gmail.com> wrote:
> follow the OSM principle.
> map what's on the ground no matter where you are

What's "on the ground" changes from place to place:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/House_numbering

"In countries like Brazil and Argentina, but also in some villages in
France, this scheme is used also for streets in cities, where the
house number is the distance, measured in meters, from the house to
the start of the street."

"For people living near highways or roads [in Latin America] the usual
address is the kilometer of the road in which the house is established
[...] In semi-rural and rural areas [of Australia], where houses and
farms are widely spaced, a numbering system based on tens of metres or
(less commonly) metres has been devised. Thus a farm 2300m from the
start of the road, on the right-hand side would be numbered 230."