[Talk-us] Super Wal-Mart Tag

Kate maps2wiki at gmail.com
Thu Nov 12 23:13:15 GMT 2009

On Thu, Nov 12, 2009 at 3:49 PM, Thea Clay <thea at cloudmade.com> wrote:
> Hi,
> I have a random question... does anyone have suggestions for how I would
> correctly tag a Super Wal-Mart? I read through the wiki but there didn’t
> appear to be a tag that fit.
>
> The store in question has a 1.) a full grocery store with
> bakery/deli/produce/dry goods, 2.) a full service hair and nail salon, 3.)
> clothes and typical random household items, 4.) a pharmacy, 5.) a full
> service car lube and tire shop, 6.) an opthamologist and RX glasses shop,
> 7.) a garden center/nursery, 8.) a gas station and 9.) a Subway sandwich
> shop. All of these sub-stores are located within the same building and are
> part of Wal-Mart, not multiple stores located in a strip mall. Scary right
> :) Is this tagged as one store (which it is in reality) or multiple
> specialty shops?
>
> To complicate matters, there is a difference between a Super Wal-Mart and
> regular Wal-Mart/Target/Big Box Store. And Super Wal-Marts all seem to have
> slightly different variations on the types of shops they have in each store.

I had a similar problem trying to tag a World Market store (household
items, furniture, groceries & wine)

In your case, for the subway, I would use a separate node, even if in
the same building.  I don't think it's good to put multiple name tags:
* amenity = fast_food
* name = Subway

The gas station can also be separate, as I imagine the gas station is
separate (in the parking lot):
* amenity = fuel

For the remainder, I suggest one node with multiple tags:
* shop = supermarket
* amenity = salon
* shop = clothes
* amenity = pharmacy
* shop = car_repair
* shop = optician
* shop = garden_centre

I'm not sure what happens when converting something like this to be
rendered by Mapnik.  If there is an issue with that, then the database
scripts and Mapnik stylesheets can be improved.

-Kate