[Talk-us] Super Wal-Mart Tag

Ian Dees ian.dees at gmail.com
Fri Nov 13 14:23:29 GMT 2009

On Fri, Nov 13, 2009 at 8:17 AM, Kate <maps2wiki at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Nov 13, 2009 at 8:14 AM, Shaun McDonald
> <shaun at shaunmcdonald.me.uk> wrote:
> > Going back to the original question, each shop should be it's own node or
> > area, thus the problem of multiple names isn't an issue any more. You
> place
> > the nodes of the shops roughly where they are within the shopping centre.
> > If you do have something that has multiple names, you are better stating
> > what the name is. For example if a bridge has a name, you could use name=
> > for the street name that runs on top of the bridge, and name:bridge for
> the
> > name of the bridge itself. I'm sure there are better examples.
> > Shaun
>
> If we used separate nodes, it could be possible to associated them all
> together and with the building using a relation.  For the various
> pieces of a Wal-mart, I would use the "site" relation.
>
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Relations/Proposed/Site
>
> -Kate

Why are we tagging the individual pieces of the building? I would propose
that we come up with a tag like "box_store" or something that could apply to
Home Depot, Wal-Mart, etc.* Sure there are other stores inside, but how do
we tag malls now?

* Or in the US we could tag it as a church with denomination=consumerism :-)