[Talk-us] Tagging "next exit" services

Randy rwtnospam-newsgp at yahoo.com
Fri Nov 13 18:20:01 GMT 2009

Alex S. wrote:

>Paul Johnson wrote:
>>return-to-where-you-came-from [sign] (at
>>state lines to send you back out of Oregon), etc).
>
>"U-Turn Route" - there are quite a few signed u-turn routes in
>Washington state, too.  I have questioned (myself) whether these should
>be explicitly defined in OSM.  On one hand, routing software should be
>smart enough to figure these out on their own.

As with other routing signs, yes, the routing software should be able to
determine that, as long as the ways are properly marked.

So, I have the opposite opinion from Paul. I don't think routing signs
should be marked. But, until such time as the amenities at an exit can all
be mapped as POIs, I think a way of denoting what amenities are available
at a particular exit would be helpful to a map user.

I do think this should only be an interim step (such as [oh, no, I
shouldn't bring up interpolation!]), but I think it is an appropriate
interim step. The "how to" is the question. Creating a relation between an
exit ramp and a list of amenities is an option. The list doesn't have to
be called a road sign, and doesn't have to be mapped. It could just be
called an "amenities_list". Then, once the amenities are all mapped, the
relation can be deleted, if desired.

--
Randy