[Talk-us] No right turn on red

Paul Johnson baloo at ursamundi.org
Fri Nov 13 18:40:16 GMT 2009

Owlman wrote:

> On Thu, Nov 12, 2009 at 5:39 PM, Anthony <osm at inbox.org> wrote:
>>
>> On Thu, Nov 12, 2009 at 6:29 PM, Dale Puch <dale.puch at gmail.com> wrote:
>> > I would have to side with not tagging them.  This is a timming restriction,
>> > not a navigation one.
>>
>> Navigation is not the only purpose of OSM data :).
>
> I think it may have a use for navigation; an algorithm to find the
> fastest route could prefer paths through intersections that allow
> right-turn-on-red over ones that restrict it.

But this still doesn't address the problem of the defaults, which *do*
vary by region to region (such as only one other state allowing left
turn on red from a two way street, contra to the national default).  If
you have suggestions, please pitch in; since this also solves the
existing problem of all intersections with a stop sign or traffic signal
being restriction=no_u_turn by default.