[Talk-us] [OSM-talk] Karlruhe Scheme addressing ways from 2009 TIGER data

Dale Puch dale.puch at gmail.com
Sun Nov 15 03:09:04 GMT 2009

What I know of it is the tiger ID came from the ID of each unique item in
the tiger DB.  A road segment that had an address range was one, the next
address range was another ID.  Basically each intersection to intersection.
All well and good except in OSM those would all be septate ways, so they
were combined along with the ID's.  This might have worked a lot better if
they were combined as a relation, but that wasn't an option then.

I think the idea was that the ID's could be matched up later if any updates
were needed.  The amount of poor quality data in tiger and the editing done
to it made this a LOT harder than I think was originally planned on.

Now there are a ton of roads that have not been touched since the import,
and these may be matchable and machine replaced with newer data.  The
problem as I see it is the boundary data between new and hand edited.

So for unedited roads the ID's MAY be useful.  While that data may still be
on the server in the history, most work is done against a planet file
extract that does not have that history.

I think what we need is to find some good SQL gurus that can figure out the
best way to match and process this stuff on the DB side.

Dale

On Sat, Nov 14, 2009 at 9:35 PM, Anthony <osm at inbox.org> wrote:

> On Sat, Nov 14, 2009 at 9:05 PM, andrzej zaborowski <balrogg at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > I agree with
> > Anthony that these tags are useless *except* this one tag, the Id *is*
> > useful, please don't remove it.
>
> What's useful about it?  Or to ask the question a different way, what
> is the tag supposed to mean?
>
> On Sat, Nov 14, 2009 at 9:11 PM, andrzej zaborowski <balrogg at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > To clarify what I mean, a good measure is probably whether you're
> > changing the name on the road.  If you're changing the geometry
> > (splitting, merging, whatever) or fixing the spelling or expanding
> > abbrevs, keep the Id.  If you're changing the name to a whole
> > different one, remove the id.
>
> There must be a better way to compare the name of a road than counting
> on all the editors to copy/preserve the tiger id.
>
> When you merge two TIGER ways which id do you keep?  Or should you
> keep them both (separated by a semicolon)?
>
> Where is this documented?
>
> Unless you can point me to some documentation as to what the tiger id
> *means* (*), I'm not going to think about it at all.  Sometimes I keep
> it, sometimes I delete it, sometimes I delete the whole way and create
> a new one in its place (without any of the tiger tags).  And I'm sure
> I'm not the only one.
>
> (*) I take it to mean simply that the originally imported way came
> from a certain TIGER way, which is preserved in the way history

Dale Puch