[Talk-us] TIGER considered harmful

Christopher Covington cov at vt.edu
Mon Nov 16 15:38:50 GMT 2009

On Sun, 2009-11-15 at 10:59 -0800, Paul Johnson wrote:
> Dave Hansen wrote:
>
> 2) The TIGER import violates one of the most basic principals of OSM:
> "Abbreviations:  DO NOT DO IT."
I really don't understand this. If the United States Postal Service and
the Census Bureau have been abbreviating names for centuries, why can't
we? It obviously works well enough. Maybe abbreviations are an issue on
the Continent but I have never seen any confusion caused by using
USPS-recommended abbreviations in the United States.