[Talk-us] [OSM-talk] Karlruhe Scheme addressing ways from 2009 TIGER data

Apollinaris Schoell aschoell at gmail.com
Mon Nov 16 16:32:56 GMT 2009

On 16 Nov 2009, at 7:05 , Andy Allan wrote:

> On Mon, Nov 16, 2009 at 2:34 PM, Russ Nelson <nelson at crynwr.com> wrote:
>> Andy Allan writes:
>>  > On Sat, Nov 14, 2009 at 6:22 PM, Dave Hansen <dave at sr71.net> wrote:
>>  >
>>  > > There are still quite a few squeaky wheels that
>>  > > like to grumble about TIGER, but I haven't heard a single person say
>>  > > that it did more harm than good.
>>  >
>>  > It did more harm than good.
>>
>> No, it didn't.  I didn't start mapping until TIGER was imported.  Why?
>> Because I knew that a lot of the work had already been done.  Why
>> should I waste my time, as you folks in the UK have **been forced** to
>> waste your time reinventing an existing map?
>
> Sorry, which map have we reinvented? I'd love to know which map has an
> accurate pedestrian routing network that is collected as such and not
> a derived interpretation of other base maps. Or maybe you think OSM is
> just a road network with some POIs? Or are you again thinking that the
> work we've done in OSM is actually inferior to the work available from
> the Ordnance Survey?
>
>> We have a public domain
>> map which we could start with.
>
> If all you're aiming for is a slightly better version of TIGER, then
> it was worth starting with TIGER and that's pretty much all you'll
> get. Oh, look, that's what happened.

Absolutely, "me to" approach. And why have all the hassle with community, vandalism … every GIS expert can build a DB with Tiger data.
If we don't see osm as a social and community project with a dynamic entirely different from traditional GIS i't a wast of time.
compare US with Europe and you will cry, compare it with some places in Africa, India Asia … where people can barely afford GPS and Computers it's a shame how bad the US map is.

>> Don't try to cast your impediment as an advantage.  It wasn't, and our
>> advantage (sensible government policy) isn't an impediment.
>
> So let me get this straight, your public domain road shapefiles have
> been an advantage? And therefore OSM is better in the US than in
> Germany? Geez, we're all sure hurting from a lack of imports over
> here. I don't think you've really understood just *how* far behind you
> are (precisely because of this "advantage", imo) and how much slower
> things are progressing on your side of the Atlantic.
>
> So please, turn away from imports and work on getting mappers in
> charge, especially out pounding the streets. The outcome will be much,
> much better in the end, and that end will come much, much quicker.

I wouldn't go that far. As long as imports are done by active mappers in their local area and they take responsibility and fix all problems they create with the import.