[Talk-us] Super Wal-Mart Tag

Paul Johnson baloo at ursamundi.org
Thu Nov 19 21:29:47 GMT 2009

Randy wrote:

> Paul Johnson wrote:
>
>>Matthias Julius wrote:
>>
>>>I consider numbered tags to be messy.  Nodes inside the building is not
>>>better unless you are really producing a map of the building's
>>>internals.
>>
>>How do you figure?  Strip malls typically only have one building but all
>>ammeneties are accessable from the outside.  And most people find it
>>handy to know where they're going inside a larger facility even if the
>>nodes are only relative (ie, the Subway is inside the WalMart between
>>the Wells Fargo and the nail salon).  Some strip malls and older WalMart
>>locations, as well as most Fred Meyer locations are frequently legally
>>subdivided as well:  There are tax lots within the building itself!
>
> I figure based on my caveats. A) I'm not talking about strip malls. B) I'm
> talking about Super Walmarts, not older Walmart locations, C) I'm not
> interested (although you certainly may be) in mapping the interior of the
> Super Walmart. I believe I stated all of those (except the negative about
> older Walmarts) rather clearly.

Note that most Super WalMarts, especially those west of the rockies
(since we didn't get WalMart until this decade) are renovated and
expanded off of a smaller existing WalMart location, and frequently
feature an inward facing strip-mall with retail spaces that have no ties
to WalMart other than they are a retail tenant in their building
(Subway, McDonalds, Starbucks, nail salons and private optometry
practices are extremely common tennants).