[Talk-us] shared driveways

Anthony osm at inbox.org
Sat Nov 21 01:26:39 GMT 2009

On Fri, Nov 20, 2009 at 4:07 PM, Greg Troxel <gdt at ir.bbn.com> wrote:
> Well, that's how I would tend to see it, but it being in practice street
> like and large and having a name makes it feel like it's fair to label
> it as if it were a private way.  I wonder if it really is a private way
> and the parcel data is out of date.

Regarding the apartment complex, the parcel data is not out of date.
That's just the way apartment complexes are parceled here.  There's
only one owner.  Condominium associations would have a separate parcel
for shared areas, because there's more than one owner.

I found the appropriate definition in Florida's statutes:

"(53)  STREET OR HIGHWAY.--

(b)  The entire width between the boundary lines of any privately
owned way or place used for vehicular travel by the owner and those
having express or implied permission from the owner, but not by other
persons"

> In mass, private ways look like public streets, and I have never seen a
> "no trespassing" sign on one.

Do you have gated communities?  We have them all over the place here
in Florida.  I can get you some pictures if you want.  I sort of
remember ones without gates but with "no trespassing" signs, but I
might have some difficulty finding examples of that to take pictures.

> On a driveway (in a gated community, on a person's house), no
> trespassing signs are not at all odd.

Are you saying that everything behind the gate in a gated community is
a driveway, or am I misreading that?