[Talk-us] Karlruhe Scheme addressing ways from 2009 TIGER data

Anthony osm at inbox.org
Wed Nov 25 06:53:30 GMT 2009

On Wed, Nov 25, 2009 at 1:34 AM, David ``Smith'' <vidthekid at gmail.com> wrote:
> I'll concede that there's a "me too" aspect involved with trying to
> make OSM work for geocoding like the big names do.  But that doesn't
> mean there aren't legitimate motivations.  OSM's street map is
> arguably better than the big names in many places, including ones that
> started with a TIGER import.  I'd love to tell people to use OSM
> rather than Google, but most casual users will dismiss it if they
> enter their home address and nothing comes up.

It'd be much easier than importing TIGER addresses into OSM if you
just used the TIGER data itself to get a latitude/longitude pair and
then fed that lat/lon into OSM.

In fact, it's basically already been written:
http://search.cpan.org/~sderle/Geo-Coder-US/US.pm

use Geo::Coder::US;

Geo::Coder::US->set_db( "geocoder.db" );

my ($ora) = Geo::Coder::US->geocode( "1005 Gravenstein Hwy N, 95472" );

print "http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=$ora->{lat}&lon=$ora->{long}&zoom=16";

Just add <form> processing.

Yes, this wouldn't be editable, but does the TIGER data really need
editing anyway?  TIGER can be a fallback, after a more accurate search
of the OSM data fails.