[Talk-us] What's causing rendering artifacts in the Southeast?

David ``Smith'' vidthekid at gmail.com
Fri Nov 27 00:31:02 GMT 2009

On Wed, Nov 25, 2009 at 4:13 PM, Dale Puch <dale.puch at gmail.com> wrote:
> Oops I spoke too soon.  There is a relation.
> http://www.openstreetmap.org/browse/relation/304245
> I still think this is the probable source of the problem though.  Perhaps
> someone with more experience with relations could take a look?

I believe the problem is in how Tiles at Home works.  Just enough data
(in theory) is downloaded to the client to render one tile at zoom 12
(and all the equivalent tiles at lower zoom levels) and then
Osmarender renders the map tiles.  I believe the problem is that when
some members of a multipolygon intersect this tile and some don't,
only those members are downloaded.  Without also downloading every
other member in the relation, most computer rendering algorithms will
fail to draw the feature correctly, because only part of the polygon
is loaded.

On a related note: when a member of a multipolygon relation also
represents a different feature (such as a road) sometimes the tags of
that feature are treated as if they apply to the whole relation in
Osmarender.  I've been meaning to file a trac ticket about that one...

--
David "Smith"
a.k.a. Vid the Kid

Does this font make me look fat?