[Talk-us] tiger county boundaries (was:Re: Characterizing Systematic Errors in Hawaii and US Pacific Island Data)

Kevin ksamples at uga.edu
Sat Oct 3 05:32:14 BST 2009

yes, we can import a subset of the tiger data and it's easy to reproject
to wgs80.  fyi, 2009 tiger is available.  i can import the county
boundaries for hawaii right now since the it looks like the usgs county
boundaries weren't imported.

the problem will arise on the mainland where people have edited the
county boundaries with relations and what not.  there are no state
boundaries in tiger and the current state boundaries is osm are in
relations, but i see where some state boundaries are not in a relation
with the county boundaries, shouldn't they be?  some usgs county
boundaries that are also state boundaries are way off from the imported
state boundaries.  not sure where those state boundaries came from.
seems like we can do alot of clean up and remove duplicate ways for the
same boundary if we import the tiger counties.  maybe i can begin to
import on a state-by-state basis checking for edits and relations.  i
can start a wiki for the import.  sound good?  suggestions?

kevin