[Talk-us] Tiger Fixup - name_1, name_2, etc

Mike N. niceman at att.net
Sat Oct 3 12:04:04 BST 2009

> ref tags are rendered in the naming of things like highway=motorway
> and highway=motorway_junction.  For example,
> highway=motorway_junction, ref=283, name=Wilsonville:
>
> http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=45.30571&lon=-122.76832&zoom=16&layers=0B00FTF
>
> Note how the ref gets rendered at some levels and the name at others.

   Another thing I noticed when using routing software such as Cloudmade -
If there's a routing relation and a ref tag, the directions could say
"follow route XX for yy miles", but it currently keys off of the 'name' tag.
I believe this is correct since the signed road name will change along the
route.   But in many cases, there are alternating 'name' values from the
original tiger data, so the routing directions are also broken into small
segments.   In an extreme case, the official signed street name changed
every block on a stretch of US highway, but usually it just alternates
between multiple name, name_1, etc.