[Talk-us] Mailboxes, etc.

Greg Troxel gdt at ir.bbn.com
Sun Oct 4 21:39:40 BST 2009

[top-posting repaired]

Dan Homerick <danhomerick at gmail.com> writes:

>> How are people tagging mailbox shops, which typically have "PO Boxes"
>> for rent, and offer various packaging and shipping services (UPS,
>> USPS, etc.)?  Alan Mintz <Alan_Mintz+OSM at Earthlink.net>

> I would use amenity=post_office + operator=*
>
> I might toss in a name tag as well, if it doesn't look like the
> renderers are picking up on the operator tag (haven't tried it).
>
> see: http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:amenity%3Dpost_office

Private shipping/mailbox facilities are not Post Offices, at least in
the US.  The wiki page does say that post_office is usable for private
facilities, but I disagree that such use is reasonable - the government
office and a private mailbox shop are totally different kinds of
entities.

I would call them

  shop=shipping

or

  shop=private_mailbox

depending on the primary orientation of the business.