[Talk-us] I am that MSP/St. Cloud, MN person

Mark Dalton markwdalton at gmail.com
Tue Oct 6 06:07:34 BST 2009

I would like to bring together some newbies to experienced people to
help everyone
get things done.

I would be happy to find a venue, supply snacks, etc..

Here are some of the questions I have been asked to get a feel for some
experience that would be helpful.

I will go through the FAQ's and archives to find some of the answers.

Mark

   Some example questions I have been asked..
1. Tag a path as a footpath. .. just
mapped it using the photo overlay, but I'd like to use my GPS to get a
more accurate mapping. I can see from other areas that a footpath is
marked in orange, but I am not sure how potlatch software does this...

2. Clone a pathway. Is is possible to select a pathway and clone it
for divided highways, or is there another method for this? I see that
I-94 is defined, but I know there is a way to designate it as a
divided motorway simply by defining the center of the path and then
selecting how far apart the division should be.

3. Joining two adjacent paths into one path. I know how to join a path
to another, but that doesn't seem to indicate the entire path. For
example, part of a road may have been defined as co rd 134 and another
part defined as 3rd Ave. At one time, they were separate, but now are
really the same road. I can join both ends together, but when you
select one path, it is only that segment and not the entire road.
There must be a way to select the entire road...

4. How do I show bridges etc. Sauk Rapids has a new bridge that goes
over a river front road. There must be a way to show the road going
over the other and not joining them like an intersection. Same with
freeway overpasses...

5. Cutting a road in half. I know that the X button should allow it,
but I seem to have several frustrating issues when I use that button.
I think I am not understanding how to use it properly.

6. Roundabouts. I figured out the mini-roundabout just fine, but when
I try to define a larger roundabout and tidy it up, it looks fine, but
I can't seem to join it properly to other roads. Same issue as #3
above.

7. Using GPS devices. I have a small cheap Garmin that seems to record
my path, but how do I get it to download my recent paths into the
computer / potlatch software? Just not sure how to do it.

8. Accuracy of the photo overlay. Just how sure are we that the photo
overlay is properly syncronized with GPS precision? It seems to me
that almost all of the TIGER mappoints were off by 30-50 feet in most
cases. I have corrected almost all of Sartell points to correspond to
the Yahoo photo overlay, but that assumes the photo is properly
aligned. Is it, or did I just shift everything over too much?
Depending upon the zoom setting, you can see some slight variaction of
the photo overlays as well. I think a GPS device that I could download
mappoints would confirm the accuracy of the photo overlay.

9. How do I upload a set of mappoints from OSM into my Garmin device?
I have no idea how to do this, but would love to hear from others how
to do it.

10. Other forums or other resources to answer the above and other
questions. I am very very new to this but would like to find out more.
Funny thing is, I drove the Google Street View car last year in the
area, and so I am interested in getting this info as accurately as
possible given that TIGER is so outdated.