[Talk-us] Mailboxes, etc.

Anthony osm at inbox.org
Tue Oct 6 14:39:11 BST 2009

On Sun, Oct 4, 2009 at 6:19 PM, Alan Mintz
<Alan_Mintz+OSM at earthlink.net<Alan_Mintz%2BOSM at earthlink.net>
> wrote:
>
> I feel that they are similar enough to use the same primary tag, with
> operator and name being used to distinguish among the USPS, UPS store, etc.

I'd agree, except for the fact that the primary tag happens to be named
"post office".  If it were amenity=shipping, no problem.

I know, the tag shouldn't really matter - it should be treated as a
codeword.  And we'd probably eventually get used to it just like we've
gotten used to silly things like calling a dirt bike path a "highway".  But
then again, "post office" isn't used anywhere near as much as "highway", so
it'd probably cause a good amount of confusion with people using the
editors.

So, I dunno, I don't "vote" either way.  If I were king of the world I'd
change the tag to amenity=shipping.  But that might not go over well with
the non-US mappers.