[Talk-us] CDPs and admin_level

David Lynch djlynch at gmail.com
Mon Oct 12 17:44:07 BST 2009

On Mon, Oct 12, 2009 at 09:56, Greg Troxel <gdt at ir.bbn.com> wrote:
>> As an aside, I'd like to have property borders show up as a very light
>> gray, similar to the way Google Maps now displays property borders in
>> the US (the areas I've checked, anyway).  Can I use admin_level=12 for
>> that?  Please, be kind, don't throw anything at me for making that
>> suggestion.
>
> I agree with the rendering intent.  But I'd make them not
> boundary/admin_level because they are different.  I believe that in Mass
> lot lines can straddle town boundaries - but I'm not 100% sure.

I agree that these should be something other than
boundary+admin_level, but I kind of disagree with the idea that one
admin_level boundary shouldn't cross another at a higher level. We're
already doing that where city limits cross county lines, and I feel
like that was the correct way to go.

I'm also 100% sure that lots in Texas cross county lines. A co-worker
used to have to pay a separate property tax bill for the few dozen
square feet of her back yard that were in a different county from the
house.

--
David J. Lynch
djlynch at gmail.com