[Talk-us] Lot boundaries

Kate maps2wiki at gmail.com
Thu Oct 15 03:31:16 BST 2009

On Wed, Oct 14, 2009 at 7:20 PM, Dave Hansen <dave at sr71.net> wrote:
> I noticed that when Google rev'd their maps, they also magically got lot
> lines when you zoom in.
>
> http://maps.google.com/?ll=44.952442,-123.027169&spn=0.001619,0.002044&z=19
>
> Would using those kind of data be better than using the TIGER data for
> addressing?  Any idea how Google got those data?
>
> -- Dave

The parcel lot data is spotty, with it in Google Maps for some
jurisdictions and not others.

Here, there is parcel data for Washington DC, which is very open with
their data.  There is no parcel data for the bordering jurisdictions
in Maryland, including Montgomery County and Prince George's County.
Both are very restrictive with their data.

In Virginia, Arlington County, Alexandria, and Falls Church provided
parcel data to Google, whereas Fairfax County did not.

http://bit.ly/KNcdL (DC and Montgomery County)

http://bit.ly/fjNor (Falls Church, VA and Fairfax County)

I take this as a cue to know which jurisdictions might be more willing
to allow their data to be used in OpenStreetMap.

-Kate