[Talk-us] US Chapter Call?

Bill Ricker bill.n1vux at gmail.com
Wed Oct 21 13:26:08 BST 2009

On Tue, Oct 20, 2009 at 11:41 PM, Kate Chapman <kate at maploser.com> wrote:
> unless there is a major push that we should do things outside of working
> hours

that rubs my fur the wrong way.

holding meetings during working hours will bias attendance in favor of
those sponsored by an interested corporate entity and the
retired/unemployed/student, and against those with a day job.  Most
voluntary organizations don't start discriminating against average
members' access to meetings until the professional management and
decorative board members have begun wrenching control from the actual
volunteers.

if this Chapter is to be an obvious sham front for CM, by all means,
hold meetings at 1pm PDT/PST workdays, that will tell other GIS
vendors to buy seats on the board fast or be shut out.

if that is NOT our intention, don't make it look like it is.

obviously, most meetings with lawyers will require a *subcommittee*
that can speak with lawyers in business hours.

Geography - Hawaii, Alaska,  and some US administered territories
would also be in scope for this chapter, so there's far more than 3
time zones spanning the potentially interested parties (plus Indiana).

Speaking of parties, the Ubuntu semi-annual release parties will be
rolling through timezones on Oct 29th. eg 7pm EDT  Boston.

--
Bill
n1vux at arrl.net bill.n1vux at gmail.com