[Talk-us] US-based Server

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Thu Oct 22 00:55:37 BST 2009

Adam,

Adam Schreiber wrote:
> I'm sorry that I'm not a database engineer.  I would think that some
> kind of block or re-direct could be made to the server responsible for
> the segment of the planet allotted to it.

That would be the "segmentation" route. Certainly possible (having many
regions in the world where each is the master of its own data), however
it would make certain operations more difficult ("give me the capital
cities world wide" would be a query that would have to access servers on
several continents). Also, when merging data from multiple segments,
some kind of namespace would have to be introduced (so that node #1234
from the Americas server is not confused with node #1234 from the Asia
server etc.) - Edits spanning multiple segments would be near impossible
(or, more positively perhaps, a big challenge).

> I would ask that you please refrain from getting up in arms over
> brainstorms about possible future directions.

Not "getting up in arms" (in fact I'm all in favor of "devolving" OSM
centrality to the regions) - it was just that you sounded so confident
that I thought you might have some good ideas on how to do it.

I have spent some time thinking about this but I always end up with
"let's make distributed mirrors for reading but keep write accesses on
the central server to avoid trouble".

Bye
Frederik