[Talk-us] US-based Server

Richard Welty rwelty at averillpark.net
Thu Oct 22 01:52:05 BST 2009

On 10/21/09 8:32 PM, Adam Schreiber wrote:
> I'm sorry to dissappoint.  I thought it was a solved problem what with
> all of Google's products, DNS fail over and load balancing being
> common?

in all cases, they've done application and infrastructure design to
account for the
difficulties. while i have no inside knowledge of how they've done it, i
would imagine
that they've done a lot to partition the problems. i think also it's
likely that they have lots
of read-only servers which replicate the content of a much smaller group
of update
servers.

and this is  a viable strategy: set up a small core of update servers,
and a larger
group of read-only servers for the vast majority of folks who only need
that.

then, partition the update servers -- make the euro server(s) the master
update
servers for a suitable chunk of data, ditto for US server(s), and so forth.

now the problem is that you actually have to implement it in the
application. you
can't get a prepackaged bundle of software to do it for you. i'm not
volunteering
to write this (although i think it'd be interesting to do) -- i don't
have the time.

richard