[Talk-us] Parking on the Street, Variable Availability Parking

Chris Lawrence lordsutch at gmail.com
Fri Oct 23 19:51:37 BST 2009

On Fri, Oct 23, 2009 at 12:04 PM, Ian Dees <ian.dees at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 23, 2009 at 12:02 PM, Christopher Covington <cov at vt.edu> wrote:
>>
>> >From the wiki,
>>
>> "Parking spaces along streets are currently not tagged. Only parking
>> lots of reasonable size are mapped, not every place where a car could be
>> parked."
>>
>> Is there any solution to this? At, for example, the student apartment
>> complexes in Blacksburg, VA, there are very few parking spaces where
>> non-residents can park. Some of these are on the street. It would be
>> very useful to map these spaces. Any way to do it that would be better
>> than drawing thin strips?
>>
>> Also, any tips on adding variable availability public parking
>> information, i.e. reserved for faculty staff M-F 9-5, public otherwise
>> or metered M-F 9-5, free otherwise?
>>

> This almost sounds to me like data too complex to be tagged by simple
> key/value pairs. You're right though, it would be very nice to have that
> information.

Well, a "on-street parking" tag might be helpful.
parking={parallel|angled} maybe on the ways?  Then you could also have
parking=no for ways where parking isn't permitted at all.

Parking restrictions are probably best handled by a new relation.  I
could see using relations for parking zones (e.g. areas where
on-street parking is by permit, lots where a certain permit is needed,
etc).  And then you'd have possible restrictions (maxtime in minutes,
day of week/alternate day rules, etc.) that you could base off those
being used with the existing turn restrictions relations.  Not sure if
these things are generally useful but if you're going to use OSM as
the basis for a campus parking map or something like that it might be
worthwhile.

Chris