[Talk-us] 2009 TIGER Shapefiles now available

Sam Vekemans acrosscanadatrails at gmail.com
Sun Oct 25 18:16:53 GMT 2009

On Sun, Oct 25, 2009 at 10:45 AM, Dale Puch <dale.puch at gmail.com> wrote:

> Reasonably easy to do yourself with Ian's java shp-to-osm.  The worst part
> I have had was county wide osm converted tiger files in JOSM.  But tat can
> be avoided several ways.
> http://redmine.yellowbkpk.com/projects/list_files/geo  Attached is an old
> rules file I used as an example.  Be sure to change the source field.

For your country-wide shp files.. are they actually USA.shp ; USA.shx
USA.dbf ??
or is it broken down into states / counties / regions. .... or smart nts
rectangles like Canada? :-)

As i dont know if ians script can handle the size of files for the big shp
file, i tahink that openJUMP can slice the SHP files in any why you like...
then just saveAS each as a 1/4 size .shp file  and run shp-to-osm that way,
(running a separate command line for each of the 4 files)    ... anyone know
if thats possable?

A side note, with JOSM is there a waty to copy from one layer to another
> while maintaining position?  I have done it a few times in the past with
> copy and paste and then repositioning, but I would prefer to maintain the
> exact position.
>
> Thats 'select the way you want to copy.  then you have to 'edit/copy'
(ctrl-c doesn't work).
then change the layer to the data.osm layer and make it active.   then
edit-paste.   and its in the same position.
I also, (for consistancy), go back to the roads.osm layer and select
edit-delete.  then hide that layer and go back to the data.osm layer and
make it active and upload.

This way, i keep track of what roads i have uploaded.   (at least
logically).   then if i want to save it and work on it later, i saveAS that
roads.osm file to 'roads-less-some.osm'  so then i know that the file is my
working.

If i have a team working on the area.. i can then share this smaaller file
with the group.

Also, by manually selecting the top half of the roads.osm file (may take a
while to select).  and (edit-delete)  then open up the roads.osm file again
and  select the bottom half, and edit / delete)   you now have 2 smaller
files to play with.

Dale