[Talk-us] Garmin OSM map for whole US

Apollinaris Schoell aschoell at gmail.com
Sat Sep 5 19:11:21 BST 2009

you can run osmosis on the planet with a US boundary polygon.  If you
don't mind some overlaps with Canada and Mexico it is easier to clip a
rectangle.
this is what I use to get all of washington, oregon, california in one
extract.
bzcat <planet> | osmosis --rx pipe --bb left=-126 right=-113 bottom=32
top=49.5 clipIncompleteEntities=true --wx - | gzip -c > <clipped planet>

Osmosis can compress/decompress the files but runtime on multicore
machines is better this way. Also bzip is terrible slow and I prefer
gzip for compression.