[Talk-us] Unpaved streets

Paul Johnson baloo at ursamundi.org
Wed Sep 9 08:08:52 BST 2009

On Tue, 2009-09-08 at 14:18 -0400, Paul Fox wrote:
> alex wrote:
>  > On 09/06/2009 05:56 PM, Paul Johnson wrote:
>  > > I would tend to go with highway=track unless the street in question is a
>  > > gravelled over macadam or some other semi-paved surface mostly because
>  >
>  > I would expect that this applies to at least the majority of named roads...
>  >

> i don't understand.  "the majority of named roads" are, of
> course, paved.  i would say that the next most numerous are
> simply dirt roads (at least here in new england, and in most of
> the US that i've traveled).  roads which are partly paved, or
> which are "gravel over macadam" (i'm not entirely clear on what
> that means) would be a small minority.

Small minority of the ways, sure.  Small minority of the mileage?  Not
by a long shot.  Cities rarely account for the majority of the mileage
in most parts of the world.  Get to the western states and even ones
with major urban centers like Oregon, Washington and Colorado easily
have a vast majority of highway mileage as logging and farm track (with
an overwhelming majority of these misidentified as residential even when
they're verifiably dozens of miles from the nearest local resident, much
less OSM volunteer).