[Talk-us] renderer adaptation

Lennard ldp at xs4all.nl
Fri Sep 11 15:22:21 BST 2009

Paul Fox wrote:

> how hard is it (either technically or "politically") to get the
> major renderers to adapt to needs like this?  as i understand it,
> the paved/unpaved topic has much the same issue.  (and i'd like
> to be able to tell my new-to-osm friends that they'll someday be
> able to actually see the results of adding unpaved tags.)

It's been asked before, but as it's a major cartographic decision, and
the style of the mapnik layer is in the hands of one cartographer, it's
possible this got snowed under by more pressing bugs in the rendering.

http://trac.openstreetmap.org/ticket/1447

I think that the suggested casing for unpaved is too distracting, but
having a different casing is what I thought about before as well.

It *does* pose a maintenance problem in the stylesheet, as essentially
you need lots of duplication of rendering rules.

--
Lennard