[Talk-us] Fwd: [OSM-talk] Google Data Liberation Front - beyond amazing

Richard Weait richard at weait.com
Sun Sep 13 02:38:49 BST 2009

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Richard Fairhurst <richard at systemed.net>
Date: Sat, Sep 12, 2009 at 4:50 PM
Subject: [OSM-talk] Google Data Liberation Front - beyond amazing
To: talk at openstreetmap.org

Hi all,

On Friday afternoon I made a request via Google's Data Liberation Front
moderator page that they should sort out the legalities for their aerial
imagery. This could let people use tracings from Google imagery
elsewhere, just as Yahoo allows, rather than being locked down to Google
Maps and its API. We've already established there's no legal barrier to
them doing so.

Thanks to you all, the support has been absolutely amazing.

In a day and a half, we have 414 votes for the request - I've had to
refresh three times while writing this e-mail, it just keeps going up.
Their next most popular suggestion has 136 votes, just a third of our
tally. We're all over Twitter and elsewhere.

(Lest there be any doubt, this isn't a crappy "I want I want I want"
petition. This is how Google actively ask you to make your requests.)

What now?

Please *keep publicising it*. Please translate and post to your local
mailing list. We're not on talk-de yet - that must be worth a good few
votes! Blog, tweet, tell your friends.

If we're way out in front, Google will listen to us. If we're way out in
front, we can publicise it elsewhere, from the Guardian to Slashdot. We
need to show that it's not just a handful of legal bores who think this
matters - it's really important to a lot of people.

The address is:

   http://url.ie/2ero

Sign in and show your support. I'm bowled over by the response so far -
let's make it even better.

cheers
Richard